Tweets from the Billionaire Girl

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, August 6, 2007

    to partner or not to partner

    Today was a very tough day for me.

    My business is a social network catering to talent, focusing more on the aspects of helping the talent find work and getting exposure than just being another site with pretty pictures of models and actors. I have a business partner.

    My business partner is a very nice guy. He has great ideas.

    That's about it.
    He just doesn't work... he has so many idea and good intentions... But nothing ever comes from it. I am doing all the work... pulling for both of us and I can't take it anymore.

    My heart says that he's a nice guy and we are in this together, but my brain tells me to ditch him, to ask him to just drop it as he's obviously too busy with something else. The good thing is that I own 51%, so worse case scenario I will always have the power to make executive decisions... the bad thing is that he is a friend as well.

    I don't like confrontations with people that I care about, but I do know when something isn't right or needs to change.

    I am scared that he's going to ask a ridiculous amount of money to 'buy him out', or that he simply refuses and makes a promise that he'll start doing his share of the work, but meanwhile continues to do nothing and therefore making me even more upset and frustrated.

    We are in two different States, so face to face meetings are tough. Phone calls with him are tough too, so today I sent him an email to ask him about what his vision was for the company and if he's willing and able to do his job if still wants to be part of our team.

    I feel relieved that I made the first step and am waiting for his answer.

    Sometimes I wonder if I should be more direct or harder on people. I mean, would that make me a better business woman? How do I want to be treated and how do I want to represent myself and my company to the world?

    I don't know. Today was just a bad day.

    2 comments:

    Espree said...

    I completely understand. Having a team is crucial toward an entrepreneur's emotional stability and the business's own diligent progression. Its a tough call, but doing everything yourself is so hard and having the wrong teammate is so hard. But which option is easier, at least in the short run?

    Anonymous said...

    update:

    I had a conversation with my partner and it seems that he's willing to put more effort into it and start over fresh.

    I feel relieved, but a bit skeptical. We'll see what happens. The site is sett the launch in Beta on the 21st of August.

    Am super stoked.